Youtube Views 2014 vs 2015

• Please use your REAL NAME when registering.

David O'Reilly

For your information.
As part of my duties to write to sponsors and potential sponsors I track the total YT views to help get a feel for any trends and to support any sponsor discussions.
I use total view rather than live views as I can get them easily for both years.
I know that some views will be short click throughs but its an "apple for apples" IE a stable and valid comparator.
Now that the last race is a few moths old and numbers have stabilised it might be nice to share some key data with you.
The Blue columns are 2014.

Some key stats;
Total views
up 25% from 64,400 to 81,000
Views per league:
WC + 6.7% @ 40,000
Ace + 40% @20,000
Pro + 64% @ 21,000
Most popular round across all divisions Melbourne with total 16,630views.
make sure you all look your best next weekend!!
Least popular Monza with 2,878.

If we add hot lap views we are at about 100,000 for the 2015 season.

Comments:

We enjoyed strong growth overall with growth in all divisions.
The largest growth in Pro and Ace but 6.7% growth and 40,000 views for WC is nice too.
Apart from a spike in view in 2014 for the Nurburgring round (which may have been due to certain battles that occured there) the overall trend was similar with a strong opening and a taper from there. The taper is about the same but looks bigger due to the massive views for 2015 Melbourne.
The final rounds weren't as strong but at least they were trending upwards.

YT views 2014-15.JPG

David O'Reilly

My second and last study of 2015 Youtube Views.
This one compares the above with iRacing. Viewed by many as "The Gorilla in the Room"
How close are we??? Read on........................

YT Views incl iRacing.JPG
Total Views 2015
iRacing World Championship; 86,115
FSR All divisions 80,937
Views per round

iRacing World Championship 5,741
FSR All divisions 5,781

OK the readers looking for the "funny money" will spot that we are comparing FSR across three divisions with just the WC division of iRacing. Thats a fair question. However from an exposure and sponsorship perspective we are, as FSR a series on the same level of views.

OK they beat us on some metrics.
So where do we go from here?
We keep up the good work on broadcasts, commentary, press, publicity and social media, mod development.
If you race here tell your friends about it.
Help the press team when they ask you stuff.
So be proud, and get the word out there. With all of you racing hard and getting your friends and contacts involved we can continue this upwards trend and fully challenge "cAsh Racing".:)

We have:
Real time real world weather
Rain
6 tyre compounds
We are the real thing, lets go get em.

Have a good season.

Last edited:
Team
RaceSpot
Hi! Some of you may know me. I'm from the other side. I'll preface this message by saying I enjoy competition, and my aim is to build Sim Racing overall, not start a pissing contest. In the same way that some people like WEC / IMSA etc, some things are for some people, and not for others.

With that being said, respectfully, you've missed a few metrics and data points. For example.

• iRacing have it's Road to Pro & Pro Series throughout the year. I would compare this to Ace and Pro.
  • We have two points of viewing now, as we stream on iRacing's YT, then archive on our own.
  • Additionally, there are highlight videos shared through YT and Social Media, which whilst not branded at the moment, could be a selling point for potential sponsors. It's work to do it, but it's worth it, especially if you target through FB too.
  • Live viewership is one thing, live retention is another. One of the things that makes sponsors love eSports is how people will watch all day long. We as a Sim Racing market need to be hitting that point home too. Yes, our viewership doesn't compare to DOTA, but they stay. All race long.
  • The same goes for non live viewership. How much of the broadcast are they watching? If it's just a key portion of the race, a sponsor may not benefit as much compared to a longer view.
  • Locational data is a big thing. For example, the US, UK, Finland and Germany are some of the biggest Sim Racing markets out there. How do we hit those?
  • Social media reach is a big thing now. A sponsor would be interested in those metrics.
With that being said, good luck on your season. Viva la Sim Racing :)

FSR Server Time

Members online

No members online now.

Discord

Latest resources