Wanting to commentate on FSR

• Please use your REAL NAME when registering.

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
Hi;

For a while I've been wanting to commentate on some of FSR's livestreams. Trouble was @Georg Winter said I had to do a commentary trial in AMA, which was the division I raced in.

Yesterday after I retired from the PRO race on Lap 2, I stayed on the server and in the closing stages recorded a commentary 'audition' in the closing laps. Here is the demo.

I've done a lot of commentary for my own league and I would love to use that enthusiasm in FSR.

Gerlof de Vries

PRO Championship
Team
Flag-to-Flag
In my humble opinion, FSR has plenty of good/great commentators already. Keep doing what you do best and stay away from FSR commentary booth.

honestly though guys, not a dig at all but Gerlof is right. The commentators we have atm are good and as it stands I can't see the both of you out performing them as such. Like I said this is not a dig, just a realistic opinion.

Mat the commentary demo was better than I expected but my expectations were in truth quite low.
I nearly stopped listening when your second sentence was the classic "well there is not much happening" clanger.
But it warmed up.

Couple of things:
We have a lot of depth at the moment in commentary. Plenty of guys. I for one have not been needed for a race or two.
So there are not real openings.

Second one is that you have been in the habit of writing in Threads and in the Livestream chat a lot of quite questionable but harsh criticism of FSR. That and some quite weird ideas. That sort of crap doesnt instill confidence on managers to hand you the microphone.
In other words you have an image problem.

Still I feel that there is hope for you to do something perhaps one day. The way forwards would be to volunteer in lower tier leagues and prove yourself. AMA or indeed totally other organisations.

To arrive, bag the shit out of FSR and then ask to commentate just doesnt work very well.

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
If that's the case then how the heck did Chris de Jong get the job then xD Especially when he called Martin Hodas an idiot in Brazil last year

Jokes aside (Chris is a good commentator really), I wouldn't say anything unprofessional when commentating, I would say 'What is he doing' if a driver does something silly but I wouldn't call someone a noob. When I commentate I do take it seriously, compared to the stream chat. Like in a CRC stream, say if my ai car gets taken out, I commentate normally, but I vent my frustrations in the live chat as I want to be professional.

However I do agree that FSR already has good commentators

Mat the commentary demo was better than I expected but my expectations were in truth quite low.
I nearly stopped listening when your second sentence was the classic "well there is not much happening" clanger.
But it warmed up.

Couple of things:
We have a lot of depth at the moment in commentary. Plenty of guys. I for one have not been needed for a race or two.
So there are not real openings.

Second one is that you have been in the habit of writing in Threads and in the Livestream chat a lot of quite questionable but harsh criticism of FSR. That and some quite weird ideas. That sort of crap doesnt instill confidence on managers to hand you the microphone.
In other words you have an image problem.

Still I feel that there is hope for you to do something perhaps one day. The way forwards would be to volunteer in lower tier leagues and prove yourself. AMA or indeed totally other organisations.

To arrive, bag the shit out of FSR and then ask to commentate just doesnt work very well.

I agree that it was better than what I expected but imo it is still below the level we actually have in the commentary booth.
Chris de Jong may be harsh sometimes to some drivers but he would never say anywhere in public that a FSR race is boring or FSR is doing bad in any way.

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
I wouldn't go that its boring tbh, in CRC I only say its not the most exciting race but then say there could be action to come

I agree that it was better than what I expected but imo it is still below the level we actually have in the commentary booth.
Chris de Jong may be harsh sometimes to some drivers but he would never say anywhere in public that a FSR race is boring or FSR is doing bad in any way.

Kris Cobb

Website
avidchronicracing.com
Team
Avid Chronic Racing
Well not bad and I think its much better than Wil Vincent. I think some more experience and a co-commentator would help fill the voids.

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
Who's Wil Vincent?

Well not bad and I think its much better than Wil Vincent. I think some more experience and a co-commentator would help fill the voids.

Chris Rabey

ISR Administration
Sporting Department
Media Department
Team
Avid Chronic Racing
Right I'm gonna say my opinions on his piece of commentary, this is my honest opinion and I hope Matt can improve from my constructive criticism.

Pros:
You clearly have a natural ability to speak on the spot, you don't get caught up on your words much
You have a lot of enthusiasm which could help keep the viewers awake (Quite literally)
You can pronounce Rabey correctly (Surprisingly my name hasn't been said wrong in comms yet)

Cons:
You have a lot of enthusiasm but you sound like you're getting sucked off throughout the whole recording
You focused too much on David Cook and forgot too much about the leaders, you completely missed Felipe chasing me down, like I was a dog on season.
I personally found that you didn't mention previous races an awful lot - Add some stats, results, performances, penalties and driver information (Country, Team etc)

EDIT: Forgot to say that Matt does deserve a trial of some sort, maybe he can assist in comms for Winter Series? Maybe AMA depending on if it runs next year.

Last edited:

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
Thanks for being constructive, could really help me in the future

Right I'm gonna say my opinions on his piece of commentary, this is my honest opinion and I hope Matt can improve from my constructive criticism.

Pros:
You clearly have a natural ability to speak on the spot, you don't get caught up on your words much
You have a lot of enthusiasm which could help keep the viewers awake (Quite literally)
You can pronounce Rabey correctly (Surprisingly my name hasn't been said wrong in comms yet)

Cons:
You have a lot of enthusiasm but you sounds like you're getting sucked off throughout the whole recording
You focused too much on David Cook and forgot too much about the leaders, you completely missed Felipe chasing me down, like I was a dog on season.
I personally found that you didn't mention previous races an awful lot - Add some stats, results, performances, penalties and driver information (Country, Team etc)

EDIT: Forgot to say that Matt does deserve a trial of some sort, maybe he can assist in comms for Winter Series? Maybe AMA depending on if it runs next year.

This was much better than I expected. And I think you'd be better with a co-commentator too.
My main criticisms:
-Your voice becomes slightly annoying when you get really excited.
-Very good at pointing out the obvious things happening on track (one driver catching another, etc) but perhaps not enough intelligent insights. For example, maybe one driver is managing tires better than another. Maybe one driver is better in faster corners and worse in slow corners. Maybe there are differences in top speed. Perhaps some drivers have a setup geared towards qualifying and not a race distance. When you're commentating by yourself you have to be both Martin Brundle and David Croft and I think that commentary leaned a lot more towards Croft. I think a lot of that will come naturally as you improve as a driver too.

And yes I only watched this because Rabey complained you talked about me too much. :)

Matthew Tuson

ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
Media Department
Technical Department
WC Team Manager
PRO Championship
Team
Invictus Motorsports
I have an idea with regards to commentators.

When I originally asked Georg if I could commentate, he said I was going to have to be trialed in AMA which I couldn't do as I raced in AMA.

Maybe the person/people who want to commentate could join a server as a spectator for one race and commentate with someone senior listening to see how they do as a commentator.

Victor Ivanov

Vice-President
Staff member
Forum Administrator
ISR Administration
Team Owners' Association
At least Matt pronounces the names right unlike some of the commentating stars we have now :) We've heard stuff like:
"I'm not even gonna bother pronouncing the name of that backmarker" or creating a new name

FSR Server Time

Members online

No members online now.

Discord

Latest resources