New Qualifying Procedure

• Please use your REAL NAME when registering.
One lap q2 would be interesting to watch, with more pressure for the drivers and the other things you said.

In my opinion i prefer the format we already have, because it pushes you at your maximum. It's not a matter of managing a decent lap because wouldn't be enough, it's about finding your absolute limit, and for me this is very enjoyable from a driving point of view

1 Lap Q definitely mixes up the top 10 alot more, with added pressure. However this was scraped when live weather was brought in due to it being unfair when rain was involved.

You could have a static realroad for it but then water wont stick to the track when you move session ( unless its already there from previous?).

Weather wouldnt be a factor with 5 min Q2 (limited to one lap). We had to get rid of the old Q2 because someone could luck into better track conditions compared to people going out before or after him.

You can set the refreshing rate of the weather plugin slower, so it only will check for changed real life weather every 5min

Kris Cobb

Website
avidchronicracing.com
Team
Avid Chronic Racing
You can also set it to user mode.

I would want to prevent having to have someone set things between sessions. It is something someone can forget and thus would ruin the live weather aspect of the race.

live weather was a problem when there was old qualy with 1 driver after the other, with 5 min qualy for me weather can be dynamic, if it's raining we have to choose to go on track immediatly and hope will rain at the end or go at the end and hope it's not going to rain, but anyway there won't be an huge difference

Jernej Simončič

World Championship
WC Team Manager
20 mins 4 laps is just simpler, it's one session, less can go wrong with server and it's more of time and lap management than just crazy Q1 and then single lap Q2. It also fixes the weird thing that Q1 laptimes doesn't matter after it ends (well it never made much sense to me that you do really fantastic laptime and it's worth nothing after some minutes if you get to q2).

I grew up with this
and all Q systems of last 10 years seems really 'shallow' to me, well there might be more action and adrenaline sometimes but sth is missing. With this old sytem you can actually sit in the garage and watch opponent's lap and anxiously wait for the laptime, and and.. well.. I can't really describe, it has some soul to it that I really want to experience again.

20 Minutes and 12 laps is a nice idea. Definitely gives you a 1 minute breather to check what other people are doing between laps, unlike just going straight out the garage without even knowing what times other people are on and 4 laps is quite abit of pressure still.

Also another positive thing - nobody has to wait for others to do their laps. Now more than 10 drivers waiting for the guys in Q2 for their runs.
I think all agreed with 20 minutes format :)

John-Eric Saxén

Court of Appeal
Yep, TOA just has to vote for accepting changes to rules, and knowing complications that can sometimes arise, I wouldn't yet bet for this new system to be available next round.

1 Lap Q definitely mixes up the top 10 alot more, with added pressure. However this was scraped when live weather was brought in due to it being unfair when rain was involved.

You could have a static realroad for it but then water wont stick to the track when you move session ( unless its already there from previous?).
If the goal is to have a "mixed grid", I think this would be more likely to be achieved with refueling, and top 10 must use race fuel. Way more chance/probability of different laptimes compared to one mistake. Just because refueling came back, doesn't mean the two tyre rule has to be dropped either, which opens up more possibilities compared to now[where most just use the same tyre in Q2].

Since refueling isn't here this season, the alternatives are 1 lap as Mike suggested[static real road just for that session, then warmup you have normal real road and rain starts affecting track grip], or just scrap qualifying and reverse drivers championship standings. That latter option would basically guarantee a mixed grid a lot of the time.

I don't know if drivers and or broadcast viewers want a "mixed grid" that badly and permanently though.

Dewald Nel

If the goal is to have a "mixed grid", I think this would be more likely to be achieved with refueling, and top 10 must use race fuel. Way more chance/probability of different laptimes compared to one mistake. Just because refueling came back, doesn't mean the two tyre rule has to be dropped either, which opens up more possibilities compared to now[where most just use the same tyre in Q2].

Since refueling isn't here this season, the alternatives are 1 lap as Mike suggested[static real road just for that session, then warmup you have normal real road and rain starts affecting track grip], or just scrap qualifying and reverse drivers championship standings. That latter option would basically guarantee a mixed grid a lot of the time.

I don't know if drivers and or broadcast viewers want a "mixed grid" that badly and permanently though.
I feel most would be happy if the grid is lined up fastest to slowest from front to back every race. A mixed grid every now and then is good but even a merit grid is great entertainment.

And surely drivers prefer a merit-based grid? Except for, as you say, the ones at the back.

FSR Server Time

Members online

Discord

Latest resources